The Importance of Proper Dental Implant Maintenance
Dental implants are considered to be one of the best and most effective ways to replace missing teeth. Best of all, a well-cared-for implant has the potential to last a lifetime. So, how do you ensure that your restoration stays healthy and functional for years to come? The answer is proper maintenance.
In this guide, Dr. Jeffrey A. Weller explains how dental implants in Hinsdale, IL, work and why regular maintenance is essential for their longevity. Our professionals at Weller Dental understand the importance of proper implant care and are here to help you keep your smile healthy.
Understanding dental implants
Dental implants are ideal for individuals with missing teeth due to injury, decay, or disease. The procedure involves surgically placing a metal post or frame into the jawbone to support an artificial tooth. The implant acts like the root of a natural tooth, providing a stable foundation for a seamless-looking crown, bridge, or denture. It allows you to eat, speak, and smile with confidence.
Why proper maintenance is crucial
Just like natural teeth, dental implants do require routine care. Here are a few reasons why:
- Reduced risk of infection: Your mouth is full of bacteria, and bad oral hygiene can lead to infection around the implant. This condition is known as peri-implantitis and can result in bone loss and other complications.
- Preserve the surrounding teeth: Poorly maintained dental implants can place stress on the remaining healthy teeth. This causes them to shift, become loose, or even break over time.
- Prolonged lifespan of the implant: An implant can last for decades or even a lifetime. This means there is no need for frequent replacement, saving you time and money in the long run.
Tips for proper implant maintenance
Now that you understand why you should maintain your dental implants, here are some tips to keep them in top shape:
- Brush and floss: Use a soft-bristled toothbrush to clean around the implant twice a day. Dr. Weller can provide information about flossing to help prevent food and other particles from getting trapped in the gums.
- Attend routine checkups: After getting dental implants in Hinsdale, IL, patients should attend Weller Dental for professional cleanings and exams. Our experienced team can monitor the health of your implants and catch any potential issues early.
- Avoid damaging habits: Some habits, such as smoking or chewing on objects like ice or pen caps, damage implants or cause the restorations to break. Avoid these harmful behaviors to maintain their integrity.
- Eat a balanced diet: A healthy diet with proper nutrition can help keep your dental implants in good shape. Avoid sugary and acidic meals that increase your risk of gum disease and tooth decay. Try to include plenty of vitamin-rich foods like fruits, vegetables, and lean protein.
Care for your dental implants and smile confidently
With the right care, dental implants in Hinsdale, IL, can be your long-lasting solution for missing teeth. At Weller Dental, we are committed to providing personalized and high-quality restorations and more to help you achieve a healthy smile. Call Dr. Jeffrey A. Weller today to schedule your consultation and take the first step. We understand what it means to have a beautiful and functional smile.